Northwell Health Ultrasound Technologist - Reg (Temporary Position, Nights) in Huntington, New York
Req Number 001OC1
Job Category Nursing Support
1. Prepares patient for examination.
Positionspatient on examination table for optimum testing procedure and conditions;
Explains procedure ineasy-to-understand terms based on professional knowledge to relievepatient of pre-testing anxiety;
Sets-up equipment to administer the particularprocedure in a timely fashion.
2. Performs ultrasound procedures.
Recognizes thesignificance of all structures that are visualized on the oscilloscopeand differentiates artifacts from normal or pathological processes intimely manner;
Ensures thatproper views and images have been obtained and proper techniques havebeen employed; determines the need for more extensive evaluations beyondpreliminary instructions.
3. Obtains pertinent radiological and diagnostic exam reports for the physician necessary for correlation with the ultrasound scan being performed.
Consults withreferring radiologist regarding patients previous history and theappropriate ultrasonic procedure that is required;
Correlatesclinical history to ascertain that the appropriate procedure isperformed.
4. Monitors patient condition.
Performsdirect observation of the patient during the entire examination;
Recognizes andpromptly reports to the physician, changes in the patient’s conditionand/or motor abnormality complaints by the patient including: faintingdiscoloration etc.
5. Maintains records and logs exams performed.
Documentsaccurately the slice location and labels study on the multi-format film;
Ensures properdocumentation of real-time studies on videotape.
6. Performs minor repairs and frequent calibration checks and adjusts ultrasound equipment when necessary.
Troubleshoots mechanicalproblems of the equipment by performing minor repairs as necessary;
Recognizes andreports major problems to appropriate personnel to ensure promptresolution.
7. Maintains control of inventory and purchases of supplies for the assigned area.
Checkscompleteness of purchase order requisitions;
Reviews stocklevels, storage locations and utilization of film inventories andmedical and surgical supplies.
8. Performs related duties, as required.
*ADA Essential Functions
· Graduate of an approved program in Ultrasound and demonstrated knowledge of anatomy, physiology, physics of diagnostic ultrasound and familiarity with pertinent medical/surgical disease, required. Bachelor’s degree, preferred.
· Registered Diagnostic Medical Sonographer (RDMS) certification, required.
Minimum of one (1) year sonography experience, preferred.