Defense Finance and Accounting Service QUALITY REVIEW TECHNICIAN in Fort Rucker, Alabama
Who may apply: Current or Former Permanent Federal employees, 30% or More Disabled Veterans, Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) eligibles (up to GS-11), Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA) eligibles, Schedule A eligibles and other individuals eligible under Special Appointment Authorities.
Learn more about this agency
- Provide comprehensive on-site Quality Assurance functions in regards to all technical operations to include Military Pay and Allowances, Travel and Transportation Allowances, Disbursing and internal controls.
- Performs reviews/audits to determine the accuracy of pay entitlement operations, and the effectiveness of the associated internal controls.
- Examines and evaluates potential problems or weaknesses related to military pay entitlement processing.
- Conducts military payroll audits requiring in-depth research of historical records.
- Assists technicians with questions regarding policies of military pay, travel pay, and disbursing.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
0503 Financial Clerical And Assistance
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S Citizen or National
- Registered for Selective Service (males born after 12-31-1959)
- Suitable for Federal employment
- Time after Competitive Appointment: Candidates must have served 3 months after latest competitive appointment in the Federal service.
- This national security position, which may require access to classified information, requires a favorable suitability review and security clearance as a condition of employment. Failure to maintain security eligibility may result in termination.
- Time in Grade Requirement - see the Qualifications field below for more details.
- Obtain/Maintain Financial Management Certification
One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-05) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required. Specialized experience is defined as assisting in the planning, scheduling and conducting reviews and evaluations on financial pay transactions, laws and regulations.
One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade (GS-06) within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required. Specialized experience is defined as experience gathering records and substantiating documents such as: pay vouchers, travel vouchers, etc. Reviewing data on various documents and determining the accuracy of financial transactions. Gathering and compiling data on operations for management feedback and/or customer briefings
GS-06 Substitution of Education for Experience: Six months of graduate education may be substituted to meet the specialized experience required when it is directly related to the work of the position being filled. If you are using education to substitute for the specialized experience, you must submit transcripts at the time you apply. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html).
GS-07 Substitution of Education for Experience: One full year of graduate level education may be substituted to meet the specialized experience required when it is directly related to the work of the position being filled. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed graduate level education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements. If you are using education to substitute for the specialized experience, you must submit transcripts at the time you apply. To be creditable, education must have been obtained in an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education (http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html ).
- If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
- Moving expenses will notbe paid.
- We may use this announcement to make a temporary promotion. For some positions, the temporary promotion may be made permanent without further competition.
- Selections are subject to restrictions resulting from the DoD Program for Stability of Civilian Employment.
- A two year probationary or trial period may be required.
- We may use this announcement to fill additional vacancies within 120 days of the closing date.
- This position is Non-Exempt from the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Travel requirement is seldom 1-24%.
- This position may or may not be covered by a bargaining unit.
- Retired Civil Service Employee: Employment of retired Federal employees receiving an annuity is subject to the requirements of the Department of Defense (DoD) policy guidance. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives)
- This position requires you to obtain and maintain a Level 1 Certification under the DoD Financial Management (FM) Certification Program as a condition of employment. If you are selected, you will have to obtain this certification within two (2) years of your entry on duty in the position unless you are already in a position that requires a Level 1 Certification in which case you must complete the certification within the original 2-year period. Failure to become certified within the required time-frame may be grounds for removal from the position and/or from Federal service. Information about the DoD FM Certification Program is available at http://www.dfas.mil/dam/dfas/careers/pdf/DoDFMCertificationProgram.pdf
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IMPORTANT NOTE - YOU MUST FOLLOW ALL APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. ERRORS OR OMISSIONS MAY AFFECT YOUR RATING.
All information included in the resume and Occupational Questionnaire is subject to review and verification. HR will review your resume and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. Applicants meeting the minimum requirements will be further evaluated based upon information you provided in the Occupational Questionnaire. If a determination is made that the work experience described in your submitted resume does not support your responses to the self-assessment questionnaire, your score may be reduced, and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are already a DFAS employee, you may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including removal from Federal service, if you are found to have exaggerated, embellished, inflated, mischaracterized, or falsified your resume or qualifications.
The Assessment Questionnaire takes approximately 15 minutes to complete and collects information on your education, training and experience related to the following critical competencies:
- Financial Management Analysis
- Financial Management Systems
- Fundamentals and Operations of Finance
- Problem Solving
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10272831
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
You must provide a complete Application Package which includes: 1. Resume: You are encouraged to choose only ONE method of submitting your resume. (HR will review the resume that the system date stamps as the latest one received and this may not be the resume, which best reflects your qualifications for the job and may result in an ineligible rating.) You may submit your resume by: attaching in your USAJOBS account. For assistance in preparing your resume, take a look at the DFAS Resume Tools. 2. Complete Assessment Questionnaire:Your resume must describe the quality of work in regards to responses to the occupational self-assessment questionnaire as they generate your numerical rating. 3. Other Supporting Documents.
The following supporting documents are ONLY required if applicable to your personal qualifications or status. They must be received by the closing date of the announcement. 1. Transcripts and/or Certifications: You must submit documentation if you are substituting education for experience. For additional information on acceptable documents or to see if you must submit documentation click here Transcripts and Certifications. You must also document your education and/or certifications in your resume. 2. SF-50: With the exception of current permanent DFAS employees, current or former federal employees must submit a Notification of Personnel Action reflecting the highest grade held on a permanent basis, tenure and appointment type. 3. Veterans Documentation: Click to review these authorities and documents verifying eligibility for a VEOA, VRA and/or 30% or more disabled veterans hiring authorities. 4. Military Spouse: Click here to review this authority and the documents you are required to submit. 5. ICTAP Eligibles: A copy of the RIF separation notice and SF-50 if available. 6. Other Special Hiring Authorities: Click here to review these authorities and the documentation you are required to submit. 7. You may submit a cover letter which will be forwarded to the selecting official with your resume. Your cover letter will not be used to verify your qualifications or eligibility.
WARNING:Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by 11:59 PM (EST) 08/21/2018, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package. See required documents below.
Click 'Apply Online' to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. 1. Follow the prompts to complete the assessment questionnaire and upload required documents. 2. Please ensure you click the Submit My Answers button to submit your application. 3. Check application status by logging into your USAJOBS account, clicking Application Status, then More Information for this position. Return to an incomplete application by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
The following link will help you determine if you meet the eligibility to apply for this position: http://www.dfas.mil/careers/howtoapply/vacancyannouncement/appointment-eligibility.html
PLEASE NOTE: You will be considered only for those appointment eligibilities for which you select, attach supporting documentation and are found eligible.
Agency contact information
HR Customer Care Center
DFAS - MILITARY PAY OPERATIONS DMPO 8899 E. 56th Street Indianapolis, IN 46249 US
Learn more about this agency
The occupational questionnaire and the resume that you submit will be used to assess your qualifications for the job, and to identify the best qualified applicants to be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps has been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/507254300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 08/07/2018 to 08/21/2018
Pay scale & grade: GS 6 - 7
Salary: $37,223 to $48,385 per year
Appointment type: Permanent
Work schedule: Full-Time