Internal Revenue Service INDIVIDUAL TAXPAYER ADVISORY SPECIALIST in Austin, Texas
WHAT DOES AN INDIVIDUAL TAXPAYER ADVISORY SPECIALIST DO? As an Individual Taxpayer Advisory Specialist (ITAS) you will be responsible for providing customer assistance and resolving account and notice issues for Wage and Investment customers. In this role, you will have the opportunity to examine returns involving customers whose principle source of income are from salary wages, dividends, and investments as well as answer tax law questions, and eventually work to resolve complex account and notice issues. You will be responsible for resolving taxpayer account, payment, filing and notice issues, and facilitating the resolution of some examination and collection issues. In this critical role, you will also serve to educate taxpayers and promote voluntary compliance.
WHAT IS THE W&I;*DIVISION:*The Wage & Investment Division (W&I;) serves about 122 million taxpayers who file upwards of 94 million returns each year. Key W&I; objectives are to provide high-quality taxpayer assistance, and to enable taxpayers to transact and communicate electronically to file their returns, make payments and receive assistance. W&I; partners with private organizations to provide assistance to such disadvantaged groups as elderly and low-income taxpayers.
The position is located in the W&I; CUSTOMER ASSISTANCE, RELATIONSHIP EDUCATION (CARE), AREA 3 and will be filled at 825 E Runburg Lane, H4, Austin, TX 78753.
Learn more about this agency
As an Individual Taxpayer Advisory Specialist you will:
- Advise taxpayers in meeting their Federal Tax obligations; Provide taxpayer assistance on tax law inquiries, filing requirements, status and web base filing.
- Perform research, analysis, and necessary computations, to recommend adjustments to customer's accounts.
- Address complex issues such as determination of active/passive loss, i.e., active participation issues or applicability of at-risk rules.
- Provide technical tax law advice on newly enacted legislation, complex tax law issues, referrals, changes in regulations and policies. WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
Occasional travel - Travel may be required 1 to 5 nights per month.
Who May Apply
This job is open to…
- Current IRS Internal/Agency Employees
Questions? This job is open to 1 group.
- #### Job family (Series)
0501 Financial Administration And Program
Conditions of Employment
- Please refer to "Conditions of Employment."
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
For Grades 5 through 11: You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions.
GS-11 LEVEL: You must have 1 year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-09 in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes: demonstrating knowledge of tax code and regulations applicable to individual income, excise, and employment taxes; knowledge of taxpayer rights, tax law, and relevant policies and procedures; and interviewing techniques sufficient to determine the nature of taxpayer assistance and skills in maintaining professionalism and courtesy even during confrontational situations. OR
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: a PH.D or equivalent degree or 3 full academic years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a degree in a related field of study from an accredited college or university. OR
LLM, if related. OR
You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. Options for qualifying based on a combination will be identified in the online questions. **-The experience may have been gained in the public sector, private sector or Volunteer Service. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
- To ensure full credit for your work experience, please indicate dates of employment by month/year, and indicate number of hours worked per week, on your resume. In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable:
You must have been at the GS-09 level for 52 weeks (time-in-grade requirement).
POSITION DESCRIPTION: 96490**A PM/C SharePoint site is available for IRS Employees at: https://organization.ds.irsnet.gov/sites/HCOETS/PMC/SPDLibrary/SitePages/Home.aspx
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT*:*
- We may select from this announcement or any other source to fill one or more vacancies.
- This is a bargaining unit position.
- Alternative work schedule, staggered work hours or telework may be available.
- Tour of Duty: Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
- The employment of any candidate, including a current employee or a new hire, selected for this position may be conditional upon classification and/or audit of federal tax returns. This audit may include up to 2 years of returns.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your application includes your resume, responses to the online questions, and required supporting documents. Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position; failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a “not qualified” determination.
Rating: Your application will be evaluated on the CJEs of the position to be filled per the National Agreement Article 13. Your application will also be rated and ranked among others, based on your responses to the online questions, regarding your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. IRS employees may obtain most recent awards listing at https://persinfo.web.irs.gov/ Your rating may be lowered, if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
Referral:If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application may be referred to a selecting official for consideration. You may be required to participate in a selection interview (telephonic and/or in person at the discretion of the Selecting Official in accordance with hiring polices). We will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site.
If you are a displaced or surplus Treasury employee eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP), you must receive a score of, 80 or better to be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority. To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Public Trust - Background Investigation
Drug test required
- Required Documents
A complete application includes 1. A resume, 2. Vacancy question responses, and 3. Submission of any required documents. Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you will not be considered for this position (or may not receive the special consideration for which you may be eligible).* *All applicants are required to submit a resume either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. (Cover letters are optional). To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your resume. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. Please view Resume Tips Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) DOCUMENTATIONIf you are a displaced or surplus Treasury employee, click CTAP for eligibility and a detailed list of required documents. IRS CTAP eligibles can apply for jobs within and outside the commuting area. IRS Reassignment Preference Program (RPP)You must meet the requirements in your RPP notice. Submit a copy of your RPP Notice along with a copy of your most recent annual performance appraisal. Your performance appraisal must have a fully successful or higher overall rating.
PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL/AWARDSSubmit a copy of your most recent completed performance appraisal.
IRS employees: if a revalidated appraisal is used for merit promotion, the supervisor must prepare a narrative for each critical job element that does not have a narrative describing the performance in the appraisal period covered by the rating. Note: If you are a manager or management official, your most recent annual performance appraisal must be used for the overall rating identified. EDUCATION DOCUMENTATION** If you are qualifying for this position by substituting education or training for experience, submit a copy of your transcripts or equivalent. If the position has specific education requirements and you are currently (or have previously been) in the Federal job series to be filled, there is no need to submit a transcript or equivalent at this time. An official transcript will be required if you are selected.
A college or university degree generally must be from an accredited (or pre-accredited) college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. For a list of schools which meet these criteria, please refer to Department of Education Accreditation page
If you are qualifying based on foreign education, you must submit proof of creditability of education as evaluated by a credentialing agency. Refer to the OPM instructions.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. ET, Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on the announcement's closing date.
Treasury believes in a working environment that supports inclusion; please view our reasonable accommodation policies and procedures at*http://jobs.irs.gov/seasonal/reasonable-accommodation.html* We will provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Elizabeth Glaser at Elizabeth.A.Glaser@IRS.gov*if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.*
- To begin,either click the “Create a New Account” button and follow the prompts to register or if you previously registered, click the "Apply Online" button and follow the prompts.
- You will be re-directed to Treasury’s CareerConnector system to complete your application process; answer the online questions, and submit all required documents. (To submit supporting documents, click one of the available options; Upload; Fax; or Reuse existing documents. To protect your privacy, we suggest you first remove your SSN).* Also, go to “My Account” to view and update your information, as necessary.*
- To complete, you must click the “Submit Application” button located at the bottom of the “Application Review” page.
- To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select the Application Status link and then select the* more information* link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received.
- To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
If you are experiencing system issues with your application, please contact the CareerConnector Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or the USAJOBS Help Desk*.*
Agency contact information
IRSJobs On Help Desk
866-743-5748 OPTION 1
INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE 1040 Waverly Ave Stop 13 Holtsville, New York United States
Learn more about this agency
You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS “My Account” tab and clicking on “Application Status.” For a more detailed update of your application status, you may click on “more information.”
Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. Also, note that if you provide an email address that is inaccurate or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam-blocker), you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/502019200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 06/13/2018 to 06/26/2018
Salary: $61,929 to $80,510 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 11
Work schedule: Full-Time - FULL TIME
Appointment type: PERMANENT